Counsel/Senior Counsel, Lending Transactions
Genesis is a global leader in institutional digital asset markets. We provide a single point of access for digital asset trading, derivatives, borrowing, lending, custody and prime brokerage services.
Genesis facilitates billions in trades, loans and transactions on a monthly basis. We have a proven track record driving results for some of the largest digital asset-focused hedge funds, quant funds, family offices, VC’s, market makers and exchanges.
Join Our Team
Genesis is expanding to solve some of the toughest challenges in digital asset financial markets.
About This Role - Counsel/Senior Counsel Lending Transactions
We are currently seeking an experience senior financial services lawyer to join our legal team. The attorney will report to the General Counsel, Lending, and work closely with all members of the team. Knowledge of, or curiosity for, cryptocurrency, preferred.
- Negotiate custody agreements for digital assets, master lending/credit agreements, tri-party custodial agreements, security agreements and confidentiality agreements.
- Provide thoughtful and prompt legal advice and transactional support to the Firm’s custody, trading, and lending businesses.
- Assist in the structuring and development of new businesses and products, including related documentation.
- Enable the business to operate effectively within legal and regulatory requirements and encourage ethical responsibilities within a culture of compliance.
- Lead cross-functional efforts across stakeholders (Business Development/Sales/Product/Engineering/Compliance).
- Proactively solve process issues for the business as it expands and anticipate legal, operational, regulatory, and reputational risks.
- Educate and provide training to the businesses and support functions in anticipation of or in reaction to legal and regulatory development.
- Efficiently and effectively manage outside counsel.
- JD from an accredited law school, or qualified abroad and LLM from top US law school
- NY Bar admission
- 8-10 years at a top law firm (senior associate or counsel level) or as a mixture of law firm and in-house counsel experience, in general finance, structured asset finance, debt transactions, financial institutions or capital markets.
- Familiarity with lending and money transmission laws
- Familiarity with cryptocurrency trading, lending, or custody, or curiosity about the asset class
- Knowledge of DeFi a plus
- Knowledge of banking regulatory laws a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong attention to detail, including ministerial aspects of drafting
- Strong relationship-building and inter-personal skills
- Capable of handling multiple projects in short timeframes
- Pragmatic advisor
- Willingness to take on responsibility for matters beyond core expertise
- Collaborative attitude, measured ego, initiative, can-do attitude
- 100% Premium Coverage for Medical, Dental, & Vision for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Tax-Free Transit benefits, & other supplemental benefits available
- Flexible time off
- Generous Parental Leave
Genesis is dedicated to creating best-in-class infrastructure for institutional investors, developing advanced products that lower barriers, increase profitability and broaden access. Our team has decades of experience at top Wall Street investment banks and Silicon Valley technology firms, and includes leading experts in blockchain, distributed computing, cryptography and cybersecurity.
Digital Asset Ecosystem
Genesis operates at the heart of the digital asset ecosystem:
→ We are a subsidiary of Digital Currency Group (DCG), the largest investor in the bitcoin and blockchain space.
→ We have an unparalleled global network at the intersection of data, finance and technology.
Our addressable market is expanding rapidly as new institutional investors enter the space. Recent results include:
→ 300%+ Y/Y trading volume growth
→ 400%+ Y/Y loan origination growth
→ 300%+ Y/Y active loan growth
→ 150%+ Q/Q derivatives transaction growth
Diversity And Inclusion
Genesis invests in creating a welcoming environment where everyone can feel supported and connected at work.
→ We help employees develop a deep understanding of the problems we’re trying to solve.
→ We thrive on ideas driven by a broad range of perspectives.
→ We believe diverse teams lead to better products and bigger outcomes.
Genesis is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Work with us at the forefront of digitally-native finance.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Genesis is a global leader in institutional digital asset markets, facilitating billions in trades, loans and transactions on a monthly basis.