Genesis is a global leader in institutional digital asset markets. We provide a single point of access for digital asset trading, derivatives, borrowing, lending, custody and prime brokerage services.
Genesis facilitates billions in trades, loans and transactions on a monthly basis. We have a proven track record driving results for some of the largest digital asset-focused hedge funds, quant funds, family offices, VC’s, market makers and exchanges.
Join Our Team
Genesis is expanding to solve some of the toughest challenges in digital asset financial markets.
The Legal Department works closely together to provide the lending, trading, derivatives and custody businesses with prompt and effective professional advice to support their activities throughout the U.S. and the globe. The Legal Department’s responsibilities include the following:
- Regular communication with business, compliance, onboarding and operations personnel.
- Prompt response to business and resulting document production.
- Providing counsel and guidance on various strategic initiatives, including new licensures domestically and abroad.
- Contract management and template refinement.
- Keeping abreast of regulatory and market developments as well as developing policies and procedures to reasonably ensure compliance with such.
- Responding to civil and governmental subpoenas. Managing litigation, arbitrations and regulatory actions and investigations.
- Overseeing corporate legal structure and organization as well as establishing and maintaining sound corporate governance practices.
- Participating in various industry committees and maintaining relationships with our primary regulators.
- Draft custody agreements subject to English and New York law and generally provide real-time support to the Sales team.
- Draft account control agreements and triparty agreements across a multiplicity of parties.
- Understand staking, lending, trading and how they are interrelated.
- Deal with the insurance aspects of virtual asset custody.
- Research the provision of custody services in foreign jurisdictions.
- Consider new technologies in the space and issues affecting related business.
- Help with confidentiality agreements and ancillary agreements.
- Liaise appropriately with outside counsel.
- Escalate issues to the Chief Legal Officer, as appropriate.
- JD, or foreign equivalent + LL.M. from an accredited U.S. law school, qualified to practice law in New York or California, in good standing.
- 10+ years’ experience, preferably as a combination of in-house counsel at a large financial institution or bank, financial services/FIG transactional/banking regulatory attorney at a top law firm, and in-house counsel at a cryptocurrency custodian or crypto market-maker.
- Prime brokerage experience at a bank a plus.
- Knowledgeable or intellectually curious about the asset class.
- Familiarity with the Investment Company Act desirable.
- Able to operate supervised or not, in an evolving departmental framework, while handling multiple priorities at once.
- Organized and disciplined to establish / maintain efficient documentation practices and tracking.
- Driven to achieve practical solutions facilitating business yet adequately protect against risk.
- Willingness and enthusiasm to learn and take on responsibility for matters beyond core expertise.
- 100% Premium Coverage for Medical, Dental, & Vision for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Tax-Free Transit benefits, & other supplemental benefits available
- Flexible time off
- Generous Parental Leave
Genesis is dedicated to creating best-in-class infrastructure for institutional investors, developing advanced products that lower barriers, increase profitability and broaden access. Our team has decades of experience at top Wall Street investment banks and Silicon Valley technology firms, and includes leading experts in blockchain, distributed computing, cryptography and cybersecurity.
Digital Asset Ecosystem
Genesis operates at the heart of the digital asset ecosystem:
→ We are a subsidiary of Digital Currency Group (DCG), the largest investor in the bitcoin and blockchain space.
→ We have an unparalleled global network at the intersection of data, finance and technology.
Our addressable market is expanding rapidly as new institutional investors enter the space. Recent results include:
→ 300%+ Y/Y trading volume growth
→ 400%+ Y/Y loan origination growth
→ 300%+ Y/Y active loan growth
→ 150%+ Q/Q derivatives transaction growth
Diversity And Inclusion
Genesis invests in creating a welcoming environment where everyone can feel supported and connected at work.
→ We help employees develop a deep understanding of the problems we’re trying to solve.
→ We thrive on ideas driven by a broad range of perspectives.
→ We believe diverse teams lead to better products and bigger outcomes.
Genesis is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Work with us at the forefront of digitally-native finance.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Genesis is a global leader in institutional digital asset markets, facilitating billions in trades, loans and transactions on a monthly basis.