Legal Counsel, Singapore
Genesis is a global leader in institutional digital asset markets. We provide a single point of access for digital asset trading, derivatives, borrowing, lending, custody and prime brokerage services.
Genesis facilitates billions in trades, loans and transactions on a monthly basis. We have a proven track record driving results for some of the largest digital asset-focused hedge funds, quant funds, family offices, VC’s, market makers and exchanges.
Join Our Team
Genesis is expanding to solve some of the toughest challenges in digital asset financial markets.
About This Role – Legal Counsel, Singapore
We are currently seeking an experienced mid-level to senior commercial, corporate or finance lawyer to join our global legal team. This position focuses on supporting the growth and development of our business in Singapore and the rest of the APAC region. The Legal Counsel will report to the Associate General Counsel and work closely with all members of the legal and business teams. Financial services legal experience is required. Knowledge of digital assets is preferred. Preference for candidates already based in Singapore.
- Provide thoughtful and prompt legal advice and transactional support to the Firm’s trading, lending and custody businesses.
- Negotiate transaction agreements for the business including trading agreements, master lending/credit agreements, security agreements, custody agreements, and confidentiality agreements.
- Negotiate and assist with general third-party service provider agreements.
- Assist in the structuring and development of new businesses and products, including related documentation, in APAC.
- Enable the business to operate effectively within legal and regulatory requirements and encourage ethical responsibilities within a culture of compliance.
- Proactively solve process issues for the business as it expands in APAC and anticipate legal, operational, regulatory, and reputational risks.
- Educate and provide training to the businesses and support functions in anticipation of or in reaction to legal and regulatory development.
- Assist in the drafting of policies, guidelines, legal templates and other documents to ensure best practices.
- Assist with corporate governance matters and in managing corporate secretarial matters, including preparation of board and shareholder resolutions and papers, to ensure regulatory requirements are satisfied.
- Efficiently and effectively manage outside counsel.
- A Bachelor Degree or an equivalent tertiary academic qualification in Law (LL.B.) from a reputable university
- Qualified to practice law in Singapore, New York, England and Wales or another common law jurisdiction in APAC.
- 5-7 years PQE at a top local firm in Singapore or international law firm or as a mixture of law firm and in-house counsel experience, in general corporate law, finance, financial institutions or capital markets.
- Familiarity with financial services regulatory landscape in Singapore is required. Familiarity with financial services regulatory landscape in other Asian countries a bonus.
- Familiarity with digital asset trading, lending, or custody a bonus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong attention to detail, including ministerial aspects of drafting
- Strong relationship-building and inter-personal skills
- Capable of handling multiple projects in short timeframes
- Pragmatic advisor
- Willingness to take on responsibility for matters beyond core expertise
- Collaborative attitude, measured ego, initiative, can-do attitude
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental and FSA benefits
- Flexible time off
Genesis is dedicated to creating best-in-class infrastructure for institutional investors, developing advanced products that lower barriers, increase profitability and broaden access. Our team has decades of experience at top Wall Street investment banks and Silicon Valley technology firms, and includes leading experts in blockchain, distributed computing, cryptography and cybersecurity.
Digital Asset Ecosystem
Genesis operates at the heart of the digital asset ecosystem:
→ We are a subsidiary of Digital Currency Group (DCG), the largest investor in the bitcoin and blockchain space.
→ We have an unparalleled global network at the intersection of data, finance and technology.
Our addressable market is expanding rapidly as new institutional investors enter the space. Recent results include:
→ 300%+ Y/Y trading volume growth
→ 400%+ Y/Y loan origination growth
→ 300%+ Y/Y active loan growth
→ 150%+ Q/Q derivatives transaction growth
Diversity And Inclusion
Genesis invests in creating a welcoming environment where everyone can feel supported and connected at work.
→ We help employees develop a deep understanding of the problems we’re trying to solve.
→ We thrive on ideas driven by a broad range of perspectives.
→ We believe diverse teams lead to better products and bigger outcomes.
Genesis is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Work with us at the forefront of digitally-native finance.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Genesis is a global leader in institutional digital asset markets, facilitating billions in trades, loans and transactions on a monthly basis.